Why "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR"?

It has often been advocated that we should journal our lives because we may fall victim to one of the tragic mind altering diseases. (Some of you may already be laughing, because you think I lost my mind quite sometime ago.) None the less, I thought I'd look in the mirror - granted some objects are closer than they appear - and possibly share my perspective on things.















"She's Still the One"

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, August 19, 2011

Wrinkles or Smile Lines?

Times were tough.  Our nation was only a few years removed from the depression.  Hitler was building the Nazi party and it looked as though the USA would soon be involved in a major military conflict over seas.  Times were difficult (not much different from what we are living in today).  People need to laugh, to smile.

It was in the early '40's, Larry Shay, Mark Fisher, and Joe Goodwin composed the tune "When You're Smiling", which was recorded by Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, and others.  Just a few years later Allen Funt introduced  a radio show called "Candid Microphone" where a series of theatrical film shorts were played for the enjoyment of those who tuned in.  Within a year, "Candid Camera", a hidden camera/practical joke reality television series, was aired.  I remember many Saturday evenings around the black and white TV set (that's right black and white with Reynolds wrap foil on the antenna, no remote). 

As television programming developed sitcoms became a staple for family humor.  Vaudeville acts became stand up comedy, there were variety show, and even talent search shows - all intended to make the audience laugh and smile.  Interestingly, these shows all managed to be effective without laff trax, special effects and emcee hype or drama.

I remember the old WRR radio station in Dallas hosting a "Library of Laughs" at 9:40 every evening.  I listened to many hours of Bill Cosby, Bob Newhart, Tim Conway and others when I should have been doing homework.  They made me laugh and smile.

Time changes things and often our smile gets pushed beneath the thoughts of providing for a family, making a deadline for the office project, dealing with other serious matters.  I probably missed some great opportunities to smile by being too preoccupied.

Life is good, despite what the DOW may indicate.  I have my wonderful wife, fantastic children and spouses, and adoreable, smile making grand children.

No comments:

Post a Comment